VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:54:53 -0500
--------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:07:05 +0000
From: Kathy L. Huff <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: a question for all the blind

Dear Listers,
I am considering approaching pharmaceutical and patient information
companies about transcribing medication leaflets and other medical
brochures into Braille, but having the company pay for the work, making
the information available to the blind patients the same as they do to
the sighted.  I'd like to collect as much email as possible from various
patients who are blind, saying whether this would be helpful to them as
patients.
I recently had a request for an estimate on a medical
procedure brochure, but the cost was so high for them; so I think the
Health Information Network and other such places should make these
materials available in Braille, large print or cassette for free to the
patients who are visually impaired, like they provide these brochures and
booklets to the sighted patients at no charge.  All responses would be
appreciated, because the number of patients who would benefit from such
materials may give them the figures they need in order to make such
materials available.  I know everyone doesn't have a scanner to read the
little leaflets in their prescription bags, and personally I'd find it
useful to know.  Those papers list the drugs you should not use a
medicine with, side effects and soforth.  Please email me off-list so we
don't clog up the list, and I will collect your responses and then
forward them to the appropriate places.

Thanks for your time and assistance with this hopefully useful to us all
project.

Sincerely,
Kathy Huff, Owner-Manager
HUFF SERVICES
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
web:  www.huffservices.net
office phone:  (859) 746-0800    fax:  (859) 746-0820
voice mail:  800-222-6000, 5, 7460800
services offered:  Braille transcription/proofreading of knit/crochet
patterns, cookbooks, technical manuals, Computer Braille, etc.