VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:39:31 -0600
On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Jay Leventhal wrote:

> Kelly, you should have said in your editorial comments that it was unlikely
> that Peter Duran would be objective in his promotional newsletter.
> Consumers deserve better information..

Indeed they do.  I regret not indicating a bias or better yet, not sending
the message at all.  As you point out Jay, one should not put a lot of
credibility in someone reviewing tutorials who is a producer of tutorials
themself or has a close relationship with a tutorial producer, unless of
course steps have been taken, as you have done with Access World, to
compensate and adjust for the obvious bias.

In reading over the message again, one hint of the bias was that the
remarks of the tutorials were of a tone of fault finder rather than that of
learner.  Few products are that bad just as few products are as good as
company representatives say they are.

kelly