Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:52:13 -0700
My Computer Problems  April 9, 2001
HELP!!!
My CPU fan was bad and would slow down causing the computer to lockup.  I
have replaced the fan and
it is working OK.
In the process of finding this problem, I have repartitioned, formatted all
partitions and reinstalled WIN98SE.  I have also tampered with the CMOS
settings, which I know very little about.
I also replaced my video card with a Nvidia Vanta Vanta LT 16mg card.  I got
the latest driver off the Internet and installed that.
I have a Proview 19 inch monitor, Model 998M. I think I have also installed
the latest driver for that, I'm not sure.  The computer says it is
functioning properly.
I have a Sound Blaster card, Model CT4170, which I can't find a driver for.
My computer's "System resource report" says it is a "Creative sound blaster
16 plug and play".
I have installed the driver for that.
As of now, when I boot up after a shut-down, it may or may not boot OK, but
if it does, that is
640x480 16 color resolution.
When I try to increase the resolution to 1024x768 Pixels and 256 color it
brings up the "Systems setting
Change" screen.  I chose "Restart".  It brings up a black screen with a
blinking cursor in the upper left corner and it will just set there.  It
will not go into the Desktop screen.  Control-Alt-Delete has no effect on
it.  I must press the Restart button on the box to get it going again.
After a series of this, I can get back to a bootable 640x480 16 color but I
can't get a higher resolution or more color.
I now get a "Display" warning, which reads: "There is a problem with your
display settings,
or the current settings do not work with your hardware."
Next:  Wizard, this wizard searches for "Creative modem blaster V.90 DI5660
(di5660)
A device driver is a software program that makes a hardware device work.
Next: "Add new hardware wizard"
What do you want Windows to do?
1st choice "Search for the best driver for your device"  Recommended
2nd choice "Display list of devices"
I chose #2.
Next: "Add new hardware wizard"
I chose "modem".
Next: "Add new hardware wizard"
I selected "Creative Labs".
I selected "Have disk".
I selected "Copy manufactures files from"
C:\creativeorupdate.exe
and I also tried C:\creativeorupdate.exe\*inf
Next:  "Select device" box.
"The specified location does not contain information
about your hardware."
"Display problem box"
"Display properties box" Settings.
16 color, 640x480 pixels
OK
Box, "Are you sure you want to continue?"
I selected "No".
Then I get a "Desktop" screen, in 640x480 resolution.  ALLELIEUA

Al Olry

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml