From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2001 21:28:54 -0500
From: "Scott Farm" :Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2001 6:38 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Computer locks up.

> Got a real brain buster for you all. I recently completed building my first computer (spec's to follow). The problem I am having is that it will lock up at various time through out the day. It will lockup anywhere from 1 to 5 or 6 time a day. While surfing, playing games, even at the desktop. I have uninstalled my anti-virus software (Inoculate-it PE), updated to the latest video drivers (both Elsa and nVidia reference), updated my VIA drivers (4-1), replaced the stock cpu cooler with a Global Win WBK38 Super (my cpu temp according to mobo utility is from 44 C to 56 C). I am not running a screensaver or any power saving settings, it is set to be on all the time. I am also running MS Internet Connection Sharing software to network 2 other computers thru a hub. This computer is the server for my network.
>
> The following is a report showing my IRQ settings:
> Hardware IRQ Settings >>>
>
>     0:          System timer
>     1:          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
>     2:          Programmable interrupt controller
>     3:          Communications Port (COM2)
>     4:          Communications Port (COM1)
>     5:          Creative SB16 Emulation
>     6:          Standard Floppy Disk Controller
>     7:          ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
>     8:          System CMOS/real time clock
>     9:          ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
>     9:          NetSurf 10/100M LAN Card
>     10:         ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
>     10:         Creative SB Live! series
>     10:         VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
>     10:         VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
>     11:         ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
>     11:         NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
>     11:         Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC
>     11:         SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
>     12:         Microsoft PS/2 Port Mouse
>     13:         Numeric data processor
>     14:         Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
>     14:         VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
>     15:         Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
>     15:         VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
>
> I am at my wits end trying to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Scott
>
> Sytem spec's
>
> Win98SE
> enlight case w/300 w power supply
> Gigabyte mobo
> AMD 900 athlon
> 256 crucial pc100 ram
> Elsa Gladiac GeForce MX
> Soundblaster Live X-gamer 5.1

Scott,

GeForce video cards do not like to share irq's except with the IRQ holder for PCI Steering.  You will need to move the Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC to another IRQ, possibly through the BIOS if possible.  Since the SB Emulation is disabled you could move the Realtek RTL8029(AS) PCI Ethernet NIC and the SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
to IRQ 5 which would leave just the GeForce on IRQ 11.  If the Realtek NIC is in the 1st PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot then you will probably have to move it as the first PCI slot usually shares the same IRQ assignment as the AGP slot.  Hopefully you have an empty PCI slot available.  Check your motherboard manual to see how the PCI slots share IRQs with the USB, PCI and AGP slots.

Mary Wolden