From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 19:14:17 -0500
>Date:    Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:17:20 -0400
>From:    P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wood Ash seasoning
>
>Some time ago, I came across a reference to hunter-gatherers using wood
>ash as sort of a seasoning or salt on their food.  As an organic
>gardener, I'm aware of the soil-alkalizing and mineral-rich properties
>of wood ash. Lots of info on this subject on the net too.  But after
>coming up empty-handed on a search of human nutrition and wood ash, I
>was wondering if anyone here has come across this subject?
>Lois

   The primary ingredient of wood ashes is lye. Lye is used in such food
processing as making - in the plant realm - dried corn into hominy and the
corn meal for corn tortillas and tamales. In the animal realm it is used to
make "lutefisk", a Norwegian delicacy I grooved on from the beginning when
I lived for 2 years in Bemidji, Minnesota. Lutefisk is salt cod that has
been desalted by soaking and then buried in wood ashes/lye until a certain
translucent quality to the flesh is attained. In the Scandinavian countries
it is served with boiled white potatoes and gobs of butter (not margarine).
Some weaker sorts will make a white sauce to put on it - probably to
"flavor" it or hide the flavor - or lack thereof - of it..
   Not everyone would agree with me that it is delicious. But then, I
groove on tripe - especially in homemade menudo - and avocadoes. So,
basically, it's an acquired taste.

Mary Anne Unger
Corsicana, Texas (soon to be Chatfield, Texas, in the "boonies" between
Corsicana & Dallas)