From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:53:34 -0500
   Since I learned to make kim chee, I have discovered that, yes, I really
did detest vinegar (I use white vinegar only for cleaning purposes). One or
2 tastes of kim chee juice - which is primarily a lactic acid form &
compatible with the "friendly bacteria" in the intestines (the acidophilus
family) - will turn you away from vinegar. When I make kim chee (which I
now process all by knife & hand since my food processor has died on me), I
provide for extra juice to be made, which I bottle & refrigerate & use as
flavorings for my steaks & other meats. My favorite one is from cucumbers
with garlic, onions, dill seed, & turmeric. I make a "cream sauce" by
mixing the fermented juoce with coconut milk (which I hope to learn to make
to avoid the preservatives in the canned version).
   If you want my version of kim chee, look it up on
<http://web2.airmail.net/unger/>. Warning, most things I prepare - such as
kim chee & dried beef, etc., for jerky & pemmican - are labor intensive,
not labor saving. Example: I strip the muscle bundles off the meat in thin
lengths, rather than merely slice the meat or grind it (both of which can
open itself up to a wider area for non-friendly bacterial activity). An
8-pound pice can take 2-1/2-3 hours to prepare for the dehydrator. I am
able to do this as I am largely self employed and can arrange my schedule
pretty much to my liking.
   Juices from citrus fruits - such as lemons & limes are fine -, but I
personally don't go much for them as well, except to add to soups that have
bones in them.

Mary Anne Unger
Corsicana, Texas