From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:27:24 -0700
->I posed the question after commenting that the predominance of starch in
the
>diets of  lower income people is, to some extent, a matter of economics.
>Even the availability of cheaper meat and poultry sources would involve
>industrial, grain fed animals with, as is often discussed on the list, an
>unfavorable efa ratio.  Hunting and gathering is not a solution for most of
>the population of the US let alone six billion planet inhabitants.  I posed
>the question as to what sustainable solutions are available to make a paleo
>diet practicable for more than just a few. Rick

i am going to be very controversial here.

I don't think the issue is of economic nature ( in the sens of money ). I am
living way below the" poverty line "( the way  they like to  call it ) but i
made the choice of taking care of our food needs above any other desires .
The economic justification is often the symbole of the resistance  or
powerlessnesss to be responsible to one self or the selling of one's soul to
the god money .

It is true that having money makes it easier to not be responsible for the
food needs. you just buy your right to be irresponsible.
Others have to struggle for that "gain"

I discovered my self that money can't buy quality eating because there is
more to healthy eating than put  choicy matters in your stomach.
The proof is in the cake ,there is peoples in the world that manage to be
healthy despite their poverty.

The irresponsibility of an  economic system  is proportional to  the ratio
of farmers to "customers".
The financial encouragement to delegate our power  and right to participe
directly in the food chain is the  means of a few to enrich themselves .

If peoples start to get back this power ,  let go of the expectation of
being taking care of,  and start to take care " directely " of their
environment , food of quality will be produced, wild ecosystems will be
favorised permitting sustainable harvesting

One walnut tree planted now will produce enough nuts for a familly to get a
big part of their fats ,40 years later.
here it is almost impossible to buy a macquerel or a smelt  only salmon is
sold and wanted, the  big scale overfishing of one species compromise the
whole food web.
fish the small fishes in a small scale and the ocean will show itself
abondant.

Cheap foods is a trap , a mirage that have been miroited to peoples to the
expense of the real richness (a naturally balanced environment) we cut the
grass underneath our feets and now it hurts. we went so far that in many
parts of the world the grass doesn't grow anymore.
They all rushed to the cities  to get a part of the cake ( very unfairly
distributed)
the natural ressources have been milked as much as possible to sustain those
cankers in the landscape .
and now the "representant of the peoples " are going to tell us that we have
to eat pasta so they can continue the building of a "castle in spain"
No species get cheap foods and yet their foods are abondant because they are
totally engaged in the harvesting of it not thru a dollar bill.
what is really sustainable is hunger , real hunger for the best , that will
makes peoples take care of themselves, their environement  in a satisfying
way , they will not content themselves with substitutes .

No the need for  sustainability is certainly not an economic issue it is a
mindset that redefine the real values.
jean-claude