From:
P & L Ventura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:12:57 -0400
> << What does the government (that's us, by the way) have to do
> with............>>
>
> You're right, of course. I was thinking of things like the food pyramid,
> school lunch programs, the military. Also farming subsidies, etc. So the
> government has quite a lot to do with it.
>
> Charles
> San Diego, CA

Yes, I interpreted it that way, and I agree.  But I also feel that, if
we think these things need to be changed, it's our job to change them,
since WE are the government.  It takes work and time and cooperation and
letter writing and voting and participating though.  It's easy to say,
"Let the government take care of it," like "the government" is some
obscure entity we can push our responsibilities on.  WE had to speak up
for the current food pyramid; WE had a say in the current school lunch
programs; WE spoke up for farming subsides; the military--who knows
what's going on there?!

Okay, now don't take me too seriously.  I'll get off my soapbox now and
laugh at my words ironically, because, in the bigger picture, I have
little faith in our species' ability to thwart its own extinction.  So
this stuff is really inconsequential to me. I'll vote regularly, attend
a meeting or write a letter on occasion, but for the most part, I'm
putting my efforts into enjoying life while I'm here, and sitting back
and amusing myself with our species' silly antics.  You say it so well
yourself, Charles, in the quote below:

> At this rate the US is in danger of exterminating its population......buried
> under mountains of french fries, and drowning in lakes of Coca-Cola.

Makes me smile!

Lois