From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:48:30 -0600
>It horrifies me that Ph.D's in nutrition know so little about food.
> >Obviously they have to toe the party line.

Not to mention journalists!  I just got off the line with an editor at
Woman's Day.  I ran by her the story in 'Science' on the failure of fat
reduction and the upcoming AHA advisory against high-protein diets.  I mean,
hell, the AHA named "Protein Power" as the most dangerous diet out there,
reporters and editors are all but bound by Journalism 101 to get Drs. Eades
reaction to this claim, right?  The editor said, "We wouldn't do a story
like that because we have a partnership with the AHA."

Say WHAT?!  Sweet Jesus!  I worked in broadcast journalism for 6 years.
Whether a company in the headlines advertized with us or not never had an
impact on how we reported the news.  If the GM of Fill-in-the-Blank Chrysler
wound up in the joint for murder/rape/bankruptcy, it was in our newscast.
If Fill-in-the-Blank Chrysler was our single-largest advertiser, so what?
We didn't care. News is news, be it good, bad or ugly.

Clearly, this is not the case in print media.  This is scary sh*t.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO