From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:46:55 -0500
Q: What is your opinion of drinking water with meals?

Personally I feel better when I drink water throughout the day and usually
sip green tea, if anything, at meals. I don't know of any "paleo" reason for
not drinking water with meals.

Q: *I find myself thinking I am not buying very high quality food, feeling
have to choose between quality and price. ideas?

Usually food with a higher price tag offers more nutrition. Plus, remember
that when you don't get sick, you don't have to buy medicine! :)

Q: *with nuts- I just bought a whole bunch. some were salted- is that ok?,
some
tasted rancid, that just doesnt seem too good, like are no nuts better
than
salted or rancid?

IMO, none is better than rancid unless you happen to be out somewhere and
are caught with no other options. Do you have a health food store near you
where you can buy raw nuts that have been kept under refrigeration?

Q: */Stacie said <refrigerated tomatoes...yikes!),
Why?

Refrigeration ruins the texture and flavor of tomatoes. They should
absolutely never be stored under refrigeration (unless they've been
cut...but use those up the same day) Tomatoes that are still on the vine
will store longer than plucked tomatoes. Plucked tomatoes should be stored
stem end down in a breathable wooden crate.

Q: *what about nursing and ketosis?

Personally my body has no interest in getting to ketosis. I've lost a lot of
weight without worrying too much about carbs. A friend of mine who is
nursing was doing Atkins for a couple of months, she felt awful. I wouldn't
recommend it.

Q: *if my husband wants to loose weight, Brad said no fruit (thanks Brad),
but
what about nuts? he tells me he is hungry all day- so he eats a bunch of
nuts, and wants to know if this will still allow for wieght loss.

We didn't restrict fruit and Ben lost about 25 lbs, I lost almost 50 lbs.
Your husband might have some nuts with *a bit* of fruit if he's feeling
really hungry. Paleo, unlike Atkins, doesn't demand ketosis. If after a few
weeks he hasn't noticed any weight loss then he might consider cutting back
further on the fruit. From the point you're at now, it will take some time
before you know what's right for you.

Considering the yeast problem you mentioned in another post, it probably
wouldn't be wise to eat too much fruit BUT if you've got the yeasties, they
sure do get hungry. When they get hungry, you get hungry. So if you limit
carbs but do not deal with the yeast, you might feel like you're *starving*!
I'd start with taking probiotics, get rid of the bread (don't even finish
eating what you've got, give it to the birds or a friend or throw it out,
it's one of the biggest yeast-promoting foods) and eating lower-carb fruits
like melons and berries in addition to lots of meat, veggies, nuts, etc.
Also remember to drink plenty of water, with a twist of lemon if desired, so
that your body can flush out all of the toxins (yeast).

Good luck!
Stacie