Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:05:31 -0400
> ------------------------------

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:43:55 -0500, Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This sheet compares humans, dogs and sheep.
> Sheeps are grazing grass, uncomparable to humans, dogs are not mandatory
> carnivore but still have cutting type molars like carnivore.

Dogs are not mandatory carnivores?  Dogs are domesticated wolves.  What do
wolves eat in the wild?  I just looked over a book on Arctic Wolves by David
Mech, who lived with them for over ten years, wrote three books and
published countless articles on the topic, and bought back the first photos
of them in their natural lives.  They eat hare and and musk ox, and other
meat if those are not available.  Some of them have permanent stains on
their muzzles from sticking their mouths in the guts of musk oxen.  The pups
all practice hunting behavior from an early age.  Sorry Amadeus, there are
no photos of them eating grass, grass seeds or any other plant matter.

Voegtlin suggested this experiment:  Pen your dog in a large area full of
wild plant matter, but do not give it any meat or allow any animal to enter
its range.   If the dog is "not a mandatory carnivore" it should do fine.

Any one willing to put his dog to the test?

don