From:
judy genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 18:03:53 -0500
Dave, the Significant Other of PaleoBabe writes:

>The toughest hurdle (which I sure everyone will concur) is not to cheat in
>this grain-based society. Irene's told me all about the folks here who
>manage to eat 5 pounds of fruits and vegetables every day, multiple pounds
>of just meat (in the microwave?!?), and so on. I just shake my head in
>disbelief... How do they do it? Do they live at home? Do they work near a
>fruit/vegie market or slaughterhouse? Are they raising chickens under their
>desk? How?

Hi Dave, and welcome to the list.  I remember the first time I read Ray
Audette's food diary, I too shook my head in disbelief.  Now, I outdo some
of his portions myself.....

I don't raise chickens under my desk, but do out in my garden.  The main
'advice' I can share from my own experience with this WOE, is to let your
body just sorta lead you at its own pace.  So, maybe start having your
croissants with slabs of liver pate on it, and then you'll see as you become
more of a caveman, the slabs will eventually displace the volume of
croissant.(One of my favorite snacks is a leaf of belgian endive which is
sturdy enough to hold a nice piece of pate).   Non paleo foods will begin to
taste like sawdust... At least that is my experience.  And if you need an
occassional "hit" of a no-no food, go for it.  Better to indulge than to
walk around uptight (as long as you don't have a serious medical reason for
avoiding foods of technology....).

My biggest mistake in hindsight, was being afraid to really let myself "go"
and eat as much meat and fat as my body was asking for.  My mind kept
getting in the way.  Old programming about cholesterol, saturated fat, red
meat, yada yada yada dies hard!  I used to measure portions, and make sure I
was eating a wide variety of veggies with every meal; For me, that didn't
work. I also used to substitute what I thought was "cleaner protein" aka
white meats like chicken and fish, when what I really wanted was RED MEAT
dripping with fat.  As a result, I think I lost some energy and turned to
more fruit eating.  Not that fruit is not great, just that now,  I  try to
listen to my instinctual voice in the process.  I think former vegetarians
become masters as substitution.  But just remember -   When you want the
real thing, go get it.  Otherwise, its like kissing someone through Saran
Wrap - close but no cigar, as they say..

Also, I learned to welcome randomness into my life.  Somedays, the very
foods I gorged on earlier now become repulsive, and I'm off "hunting" for my
next fix.  Its fun and keeps life life in the kitchen interesting and
dynamic. No cavegirl steps into the same river twice....

Keep plenty of fat in the house!  Coconut milk for smoothies, eggs,
sardines, nuts, nut butters also helps fill in the gap you may feel
temporarily as your body adjusts to lack of grains. It will help keep you
from feeling bored as well.

I hope you will report back on your experiences.  Its a great ride.  Keep
having fun, and don't forget your loincloth!!!

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl