From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 07:22:53 +0000

>Hmmm. . . I was always under the impression that aerobic exercise burned fat
>equally off all parts of the body, and that, likewise, weight bearing
>exercise strengthened all the bones in the body. If this is not true, then
>would we not have to do weight bearing exercise on each and every bone in the
>body, to prevent bone loss in every bone?
>
>Another question- I have quite a lot of nerve and other damage to my back,
>both in the lumbar and cervical regions, which prevents me from doing much in
>the way of weight training of any sort. Fortunately, I can, and do, walk. I
>am working on slowing increasing the incline on my treadmill more and more
>each week. It feels to me like walking slower at a steeper incline becomes
>more weight bearing and less aerobic, as the incline increases. I am
>wondering if this is true, and also, if adding ankle weights as I get in
>better shape would also increase the weight bearing effect of this exercise.
>
>Maddy Mason
>Hudson Valley, NY

In my opinion, aerobic exercise is vastly overrated. Just walking at a
recreational pace should keep you in good cardiovascular health, and it
doesn't take much. It certainly is not a factor in weight control or
strength building. But a little bit of lifting will have great benefits to
bone and muscle. Weight-bearing exercise increases the density of every
bone which bears the weight of the particular exercise. Jumps or squats
increase the load on the legs, but obviously can't do much for arms or
shoulders. In that respect, we do  need to cover each muscle group to
strengthen the bones therein. A few upper-body moves will balance the
workout. For maximum results with minimal time, do "big" exercises: the
most involvement can be gotten by doing the clean-and-press, for instance.
Bench presses cover both pecs and triceps, lat pulldowns work biceps as
well as lats. But if you really want to build strength, you can do both the
general body builders and the specific body parts.
Ask for help at your gym if you are mystified. For my money, life itself
can give you enough general exercise, if you walk and climb stairs in the
course of everyday events. But making sure you get the effects of true
weight-bearing stress a few times a week will reap great rewards in the
quest for a fully-functional body which will endure in health.

ginny and Tomo

All stunts performed without a net!