From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:47:07 +0000
Just a note of interest: My friend with the osteomyelitis still works out
with weights despite his frozen knee joint; he is 59 and has been lifting
since his teens. He is fairly obsessed with the gym, and that's where he
tore the tendon that led to the osteomyelitis years ago. This week, he had
the misfortune to take a hard fall backwards from standing while pulling a
wall pulley stack with his teeth (I said he was obsessed...) He fractured
his femur just below the trochanter, and had surgery to install a plate.
His orthopedic surgeon said he never in all his career saw bones as dense
and hard! It took him twice as long as usual and dulled several drill bits
in securing the appliance.

He has always eaten rather healthily, and only recently dropped the grains
and went to Paleo. I think the clear message here is in weight-bearing
exercise to develop bones. Keep on lifting, boys and girls, and you may not
need the sardines as much as you think:)

ginny and Tomo

All stunts performed without a net!