AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prof Norm Coombs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 22:31:57 -0500
Please read this and help with this survey.
Norman Coombs

>Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:19:33 -0500
>From: Jenny Clark <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: survey on Internet Utilization By Persons With Disabilities
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Hi Dr. Coombs,
>Please feel free to pass this survey on to any Internet users with
>disabilities.  It can also be sent in braille or other formats and read
>aloud over the phone upon request.  I'm also going to post it on blind-l
>
>Thanks,
>Jenny Clark
>Very little is known beyond basic conjecture, concerning the manner and
extent to which online services enhances the quality of life for persons
with disabilities.  The purpose of this study is to empirically examine the
patterns of internet utilization by persons with disabilities and to
determine the degree in which internet engagement is associated with
positive outcomes within the lives of the disabled.  We are particularly
interested in the persons with disabilities usage of computer based
communications including email, listserves, chat rooms, and online support
groups.

>We appreciate you taking the time to complete this short survey on online
communication and persons with disabilities.  This survey is available in
several accessible formats.  It can be sent in braille, large print, as a
text file or read aloud.  If you want the survey to be read over the
telephone or in person, contact:

> Jenny Clark
> Center for Adaptive Technology Education (CATE)
> Department of Special Education
> Eastern Michigan University
> Ypsilanti, MI 48197
> (734) 487-3300
> email: [log in to unmask]
>
> or
> Dr. Al Bellamy
> Department of Interdisciplinary Technology
> Eastern Michigan University
> Ypsilanti, MI 48197
> (734) 487-1161
> email: [log in to unmask]
>
>SURVEY ON INTERNET UTILIZATION OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
>
>INSTRUCTIONS
>Please respond to each of the items on this questionnaire.  Please do not
attach your name to the survey.  Your identity will  remain completely
anonymous.  All information that is collected from you will  be
confidential. Participation is voluntary and you can end the survey at any
time.  Thank you very much for participating in this survey.

> [...]
>____White
>____Hispanic
>____Black
>____Asian
>____Native American
>____Arab
>____Other (Please specify)
>
>4.  Are you employed?    ____Yes   ____No
>
>5.   Full-time______  Part-time______
>
>6.  What type(s) of disabilities do you have?  (Please check all that apply)
>___Blind/Visually Impaired
>___Traumatic Brain Injury
>___Hearing Impaired
>___Speech and/or Language Impairment
>___Health Impairment
>___Physical Impairment
>___Learning Disability
>___Deaf
>___Other (Please specify)
>
>7.  What aspects of the Internet do you use?  (Check all that apply)
>____E-mail
>____Discussion groups
>____Online interactive games.
>____Chat rooms
>____Listserves
>____Newsgroups
>____Bulleting boards
>
>8.  On the average, how many hours do you spend on the Internet each week?

>      ______Hours
>
>9.  How long have you used the Internet?      _________
>
>10.  Why do you use the Internet? (Check all that apply)
>____To make friends
>____I can do things that I could not normally do.
>____It gives me something to do
>____To get rid of boredom
>____Its cheaper than the telephone
>____Greater availability  of online information
>____Its more accessible or easier to use than the telephone
>

>11.  What do you use the Internet for? (Check all that apply)
>___Locating upcoming events in the community
>___Locating disability agencies
>___Researching information
>___Communicating with disability agencies
>___Researching medical information
>___Reading online newspapers/magazines
>___To obtain advice or information
>___To submit documents
>___News or radio channels
>___To socialize with others
>___To communicate with friends
>___Entertainment
>
>12.  Do you use any adaptive equipment or software? ____Yes   ____No
>
>13.  Which types of adaptive hardware or software do you use? (Check all
that apply)
>___voice synthesizer or talking programs
>___large print software
>___Braille printers or other Braille  devices
>___voice recognition
>___trackball
>___one-handed software
> ___mouthstick
>___single switch access
>___sound indication software
>___mouse keys
>___expanded or micro keyboard
>___do not require special software or hardware
>___would be interested in trying out other adaptations to the computer
>
>14.  What prevents you from accessing the Internet and CMC more often?
Check all that apply:
>___Lack of time
>___Not acquainted with computers
>___The Internet seems confusing to me
>___Fear of doing something wrong
>___It seems like it would take a lot of time to learn how to use some of
the programs on the Internet
>___My computer is too old
>___My modem is too old
>___Some pages don't work with my adaptive equipment
>___I'm a little fearful of online crime
>___I heard that strange things happen on the Internet, etc.
>___No desire to be on the Internet
>___I've heard that people can find out too much personal information about
another person

>15.  Have you ever taken an online course or workshop?   ___Yes  ___No
>
>16.  Would you be interested in taking online courses for college credit?
__Yes  __No

> [...]
>__More relaxed discussing some issues online
>__I am able to receive more information
>__Support group is more accessible online
>__I can be anonymous
>
>20.  What would be the greatest disadvantage to your participation in an
online support group?
>__Cannot meet face-to-face
>__Fear of online harassment
>__May not meet consistently
>__Might not focus on my specific condition
>__Have to use a computer to access the group
>
>21.  How comfortable are you in using a computer?
>__Very comfortable
>__Comfortable
>__Somewhat comfortable
>__Uncomfortable
>__Very Uncomfortable
>
>Please rate the following from items from very often to never
>22.  Do you ever disguise your disability online?
>_____ Very often
>_____Often
>_____Sometimes
>_____ Seldom
>_____ Never
>
>23.  Do you participate in any online support groups?
>_____ Very Often
>_____ Often
>_____ Sometimes
>_____  Seldom
>______Never
>

>24.  Do you participate in disability related chat rooms?
>_____ Very often
>_____ Often
>_____ Sometimes
>_____ Seldom
>_____Never
>

>25.  Do you visit disability  oriented web sites?
>_____ Very often
>_____ Often
>_____ Sometimes
>_____ Seldom
>_____ Never
>

>26.  Relationships that I form on the Internet are important to me.
>______ Strongly Agree
>_______Agree
>_______Neither Agree Nor Disagree
>_______ Disagree
>_______ Strongly Disagree
>

>27.  It is easier for me to form relationships on the Internet than in
face-to-face situations.
>_______Strongly Agree
>_______Agree
>_______  Neither Agree Nor Disagree
>_______ Disagree
>_______ Strongly Disagree
>

>28.  It is easier for me to reveal personal issues with people online than
with friends and relatives.
>_______Strongly Agree
>_______Agree
>_______ Neither Agree Nor Disagree
>_______ Disagree
>_______Strongly Disagree
>
>29.  People that I meet online are more accepting of me as a person than
people that I meet offline.
>_______Strongly Agree
>_______Agree
>_______ Neither Agree Nor Disagree
>_______ Disagree
>_______Strongly Disagree
>
>30.  If I had a problem, I would seek help from an online support group or
friends that I have met online.