VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:15:54 -0500
From:
LynZelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Hi,

I've been reading through messages on this list that I haven't gotten to
before and just saw this subject line.  I have also been on and off looking
into how to investigate this organization and wondered if anyone who has
written about it  has found out anything new.  What I do know about them is
that they are supposed to be an Orthodox Jewish organization and that all
they produce is Jewish prayer books in braille and large print.  I have
been speaking with a blind Orthodox Jew who is also concerned about this
organization.  He said the prayer books are not even complete and only in
English.  He visited the organization once when in town and they told him
they didn't really serve the Orthodox blind, they are, well, I don't know a
good English word for it, but an organization that tries to bring
non-observant Jews back to religious observance.  Anyway, we are both
pretty convinced they are fraudulent.  Any organization that is making
enough money to have ongoing ads on a major New York news station is
getting more money than one could possibly spend printing English prayer
books.  I went through the same run-around that others here have trying to
find out what they say they do for us blind folk.  They were very hesitant
to tell me.  If anyone has more info so far, please share it.

Thanks,

Lynn Zelvin