VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:54:51 +0100
From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Scott,

I found your name and e-mailaddress on the Henter-Joyce web site and read
that you are marketing manager director.

Last day I send several messages to Henter-Joyce with question about the
state of LP-Windows and most important how support for LP-Windows is
organised. I didn't get any replies to these questions, but received
messages from LP-Windows users whon need support, because their system
crashes on LP-Windows 7.1.

The developers of LP-Windows now work for Freedom Scientific and MAGic
seems to be an upgrade from LP-Windows 7.1 and MAGic 6.2. This bring me to
the conslusion that there is no further developement of LP-Windows. This
brings me to the following questions?

1. Has Freedom Scientific bought LP-Windows?
2. Is there any furher developement of LP-Windows?
3. If there is no further developement of LP-Windows, why it is be offered
on the Internet? See at http://www.largeprint.com and http://www.keyalt.com?
4. After LPW 7.1 was released I send the programmers a list with bugs. I
never got any reply to my messages. Now I understand, because they were
working for Freedom Scientific and they didn't have time to solve bugs in
their own product. During that same period LP-Windows was sold to people
without any support. LP-Windows is incompatible with a lot of video cards.
If LPW users buy a new computer, most of them will not be able to run LPW
anymore.
5. Freedom Scientific now offers an 'upgrade' from LP-Windows 7.1 to MAGic
8 for $75 or more. The only thing they get for that $75 is more video
compatibility. They can not be sure about this, because there were already
users reporting video incompatibility and other crahes in MAGic 8. BTW:
also during the beta test there were crashes, that were not solved before
the release of MAGic 8. Time to market seems to be more important for
Freedom Scientific than a stable product?
Upgrading to MAGic 8 does not only give LPW users some more video
compatibility, but also the bugs that were already were known in LPW plus
sluggish mouse movement feature. The possibility to move the magnified
view, is one of the basic features in a screen magnifier?
In my opinion programmers of LP-Windows and Freedom Scientific have mislead
those who bought LP-Windows, because LP-Windows was sold to people and them
was not told that there was no further developement of the product anymore.
In my opinion that this means that:
A. Users get their money back, so they can look for an alternative screen
magnifier.
B. LP-Windows users can upgrade for free so tehy automatically step in
product that has more future.
6. Where can LP-Windows users now get support?

It seems to me, that one of the strategies of Freedom Scientific is to not
answering my questions. A stange strategy, but if Freedom Scientif thinks
they can behave in the accessibility industry like Microsoft in the
software industry they make a big mistake.
A growing group of visual impaired users of accessibility feature realize
themselves, that they not only have to say "thank you" to developers of
accessibility features, but that companies have to release and sell stable
product with excelent support.
At this moment there are good and stable products on the market. Products
that never hang the computer. So, why is Freedom Scientific thinking they
do not have to answer to questions asked to them?

Regards Peter Verhoeven
Internet : http://www.magnifiers.org (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage