VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Lynn Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:53:40 -0500
First of all, many of my friends have taken Kathy Ann's classes and
tutorials and found them to be of very high quality.  Ms. Murtha has been
educating blind people since I started back on the net over five years
ago.  While I don't want to speak for Ms. Murtha, I believe that the
seminars referred to by Mr. Duran in the original post are not meant to be
full-fledged tutorials.  They were meant to be a brief overview.  If I'm
not mistaken, the text of the seminars was derived from some free
audio-based seminars Ms. Murtha did a while back.  My only criticism was
the spamming that went on of the lists there for a while with regard to the
tutorials, but that is no longer occurring.  I would most definitely
recommend Ms. Murtha's tutorials and classes to anyone.

Secondly, I thought it was very interesting that Mr. Duran discussed
misspellings and grammatical errors in the text of the seminars.  Unless
JFW was reading things wrong, and unless the text was not copied and pasted
directly from the original news letter, I noticed a few spelling and
grammatical errors in Mr. Duran's news letter too.

I do agree with Mr. Duran's comments about the Project Assist tutorials,
which are indeed a very good investment.  I have not read Captured By The
Net, but again, I don't think this book was intended to be a tutorial per
se.  It was meant to give people the information they need to better
understand the Internet and obtain the tools necessary to use it more
effectively.

While Mr. Duran is certainly entitled to express his opinions, I would
stress to anyone who is just learning about technology the importance of
obtaining a wide variety of viewpoints regarding which technology is best
and how to utilize it most effectively.  Because we all have our own unique
learning styles, a tutorial or program that doesn't work for one person may
well work for another.