Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:12:03 -0400
Dori Zook asked if we had any comments on soy and thyroid function.  This
comes from an article my husband, Don, wrote for an article that appeared in
a men's fitness publication.  It took 4 years to get the article published,
to find a magazine that would run it, that did not have soy advertisers!
This is a fraction of the article Don wrote.

Btw:  We have since come across other articles on soy and it's negative
effects on the thyroid gland.  This is just the tip of the iceberg!

Soy and Thyroid Function

In the late 1950ıs and early 1960s there were reports that infants fed soy
formula developed goiter (enlarged thyroid).  A study done in Japan in 1991
found that diffuse goiter and hypothyroidism appeared in half of the
subjects after consuming 30 gym per day of pickled roasted soybeans for
three months.[Ishisuki Y et Al., ³The effects on the thyroid gland of
soybeans administered experimentally in healthy subjects,² Nippon Nibunpi
Gawk Zasshi (1991) 67:622-629.] The mechanism by which soy isoflavones
suppress thyroid activity has been discovered. [Divi AL et al.,

³Anti-thyroid isoflavones from the soybean,² Biochem Pharmacol
(1997)54:1087-1096.]  As thyroid inhibitors, soy isoflavones are considered
to be somewhat more potent than common anti-thyroid drugs, working to
inhibit action of an enzyme that converts the amino acid tyrosine to thyroid
hormone.

From the article, Soy Panacea or Poison by Don Matesz, B.A., M.A., C.H.,
C.N.C., C.R.T., which appeared in Exercise Protocal Magazine, Fall 2000.
The entire article will appear on our web site when it is up and running.

Rachel