C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:56:02 -0500
I know that no one can give me a correct answer but this discussion really
has me thinking and wondering.  I'm coming at this situation as a mommy of
an almost 6 year old boy who has spastic quad CP. Alex has a manual WC that
he does Ok in. He's not thrilled just going straight form point A to B but
enjoys cutting close turns and speeding down ramps ( is there a smiley icon
I can place here of a mommy quickly turning gray???). He has been using a
new walker that gives him lots of support on walking, although  walking is
still labor intensive. It's usually kept at the school and when it is here
at home it can only go short distances because of our house lay out.
Thursday Alex had an appointment with his PMR doc and we took the walker
with us as the PMR doc had never seen this new walker ( Rifton Pacer) My
gosh golly, did that little one go!!!! The joyful look on his face was
heart-lifting to say the least. Even with the joy and all the supports the
walking, again was intensive with effort. Now I'm mindful from the responses
of the adults ( no that's not the right descriptive word, lets see ..older?
no?? Ok  how about people who've grown taller,like Bobby, ISM,Ken,Magenta)
that all that forced being "normal" walking has resulted in such stress on
the joints,  spine etc as they've grown "taller" Do I discourage/limit the
walking in order for him to have a healthier adult life. Maybe all this new
equipment is made to reduce the stress that caused all the  muscle /spinal
stress in the past. Just what is a good medium for a young child?
Joanne