From:
Rhonda Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:35:35 -0500

Thanks for the information.  Here is a summary of what I've learned about
implementing a lactose free diet, in addition to a gf diet:

I suggest you try "The Specific Carbohydrate Diet" in Break The Vicious
Cycle from www.scdkitchen.com. It will help you pin down allergy foods and
intolerances in addition to the GF foods. Also has a list of lactose free
cheeses and explains how to make your own "true" yogurt without lactose. My
husband who has Crohn's Disease and myself (CD) have had wonderful results
with it! Good luck.

I can recommend ghee as a substitute for butter. It is basically butter,
but has been clarified. It has only a small fraction of the lactose that
normal butter contains, and unless an individual is particularly
sensitive, makes a much better substitute than margarine or cooking
oils. Ghee can be purchased at some health food stores, or any
restaurant that serves traditional India cuisine. The nicest thing about
ghee is that it does not contain any preservatives or chemical
emulsifiers, and has the flavor of real butter (because it is butter).

I was 100% correct. Here is the URL of the web page with the following
information. http://hometown.aol.com/davisrnclc/myhomepage/how.htm

I hope this helps.

Alan

Carbohydrates

Lactose is a sugar present only in milk. In human milk the
level of lactose is quite high. Other sugars are present but lactose is
the driver sugar in breast milk and provides approximately 50% of the
caloric content. Lactose assists with the establishment of Lactobacillus
bifidus flora in the infant bowel. Lactobacillus limits colonization by
other bacteria by occupying the limited number of binding sites along
the intestinal wall. Lactose enhances infant absorption of calcium from
breast milk.

Alpha-Lactalbumin concentration is 2.6 grams per liter in human milk.
Alpha-Lactalbumin is a specific protein required for lactose synthesis.
Lactose is responsible in part for milk volume and mother needs an
adequate source of carbohydrates in her diet. Excessive use of sugar
substitutes may affect maternal milk volume. (Lawrence and Lawrence 126)

There has been concern over lactose intolerance in infants lately.
Primarily fueled by a new lactose free ABM. Since human milk is so high
in lactose it seems unlikely that lactose intolerance in infancy would
be compatible with life. (Riordan and Auerbach 129) The problem may be
one of feed management rather than true intolerance. (see Protocol: Over Supply

Make sure that you check ingredient labels, because you have to avoid caseine
and whey also, and they are hidden in everything from hotdogs & lunch meat to
candybars!! Good luck!!

Try going to www.gfcfdiet.com. I understand that if it is casein free,
it is also lactose free. I run a support group in Illinois and this site
was recommended to me by the list for a member who is lactose intolerant.

Whole Soy yogurt is GF/LF and delicious. My 2.5 year old granddaughter
loves it, sneaks into the frig to steal some all the time.

Soykaas soy cheese is GF and the best I've found. Rella is also GF, but
not quite as good. By far the best is the Tofutti Better Than Cream
Cheese. Tastes just like cream cheese and it's GF. I love it. But don't
eat their sour cream, it's not GF.

For what it's worth, I belong to a vitamin company called Sportron. They
have a PH testing kit. The advice for those who test low for a PH is, first
of all to have more fruit and vegetables, and secondly to increase calcium.
Perhaps your daughter is not absorbing calcium? Is she also lactose
intolerant? Can she eat dairy products?

Lucille Cholerton (Chairperson, Gluten Intolerance/Coeliac Support
Group, Durban, South Africa) Web Page:
http://www.labspec.co.za/coeliac/index.htm

THANKS TO EVERYONE!!

Rhonda and Jessie