From:
Sheila Darbyshire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:56:13 -0000

I had a huge response to my question so will try to pack in as much
information as possible.

It was felt generally that any waffle recipe would suffice as long as
gluten free flour and GF raising agents were used.  Buttermilk added to
the mix makes a superior waffle.

Really Great Food Company Pancake Mix, Pamela's Pancake Mix and Pamela's
Gourmet Mix, and Cause your Special Mix were recommended for those who
don't have time to make their own.  Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and
Healthy Page 57.

Here are some recipes - in all the recipes they combine the dry
ingredients, beat the eggs and other liquid together and combine (some
prefer to whip the eggwhites separately and folding them in to the mix,
to make a lighter softer waffle, but when I tried it, they went soggy!):

Buttermilk Waffles:

1 1/4 cups Bette Hagmans flour
   (or - 2 parts white rice flour, 2/3 parts potato starch flour and 1 part
   tapioca flour [substituting tapioca flour makes a lighter waffle]
1/4 cup buttermilk powder
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp shortening (crisco)
2 eggs
1 cup water

Sour Cream Belgian Waffles

1/4 cup butter
1 cup sour cream
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp xanthum gum (some suggested guar gum)

Suggested additions/alternatives in batter:
fruit (stewed or fresh)
Use of Fleischmans GF margarine instead of butter
1 tsp gelatin
1 tsp egg replacer
chopped banana, choc chips, chopped apple and cinnamon

I'm off to try some of these recipes.  Mmmmm.

Sheila