From:
Norman Dewar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 00:22:40 -0400

Hello,

I'm a celiac whose occupation involves exposure to feed dust (I operate
a farrow to finish swine operation).  Because the feed is manufactured at
least in part with barley and wheat, the dust would contain gluten.  I
suspect that even though I wash my hands a lot while I'm in the barns and
I wear a light dust mask, I'm ingesting trace amounts of gluten.  I have
had celiac attacks that I can't trace to anything I might have eaten that
could be suspect.  This leads me to believe that inhaling even very trace
amounts of this dust plus accidental ingestion from my hands could be
exposing me to trace amounts of gluten.

I'm a adult celiac, just turned forty, and have been gluten free for 2
years, and I've never felt better.  That little poem in The Sprue-Nik
Press that was distributed a few days ago describes me perfectly!

Am I just worrying over nothing or should I be concerned?  I'd like to
hear from anyone who has had a similiar experience perhaps even in
another occupation or from similiar exposure to gluten containing flours
around the home.

Thank you,
Norman Dewar
Prince Edward Island,  Canada