EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"* EASI: Equal Access to Software & Information" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:55:56 +0530
From:
Pranav Lal <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,

Apologies for the cross posting.

I have been appointed as a database administrator. The database is
Oracle8i. I am having considerable difficulties in accessing most tools in
Oracle.

The only accessible part seems to be the SQL plus. The rest of the tools
such as the database configuration assistant have a Java interface. Oracle
uses it's own Java virtual machine and I have been unable to bind the
access bridge with it. I am using JFW as my screen reader. I can read every
thing with the jaws cursor but have no way of telling whether the thing I
am on is part of a dialog box, if a control is a button etc. When I hit the
tab key, the focus changes visually but JFW does not say anything. A friend
suggested that I use frames as prompts however, I am not sure if this will
work since the control id and the handle are the same for all controls.

I understand that most oracle tasks can be done by using SQL but the
presentation of data is another issue. plus the tools do make some things
convenient. Does any one have any idea about improving the accessibility of
Oracle? I have thought of
  getting oracle to use the Sun JVM but have no idea if this will work or
how to go about it.

Pranav