Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:34:49 -0500
From:
Christie Kuyper <[log in to unmask]>

In trying to send this the first time, part of it got cut off for some
reason. I will try again...sorry.

  Many thanks to all of you who responded to my question about surviving
college on the GF diet. I have received about 20 replies so far, all very
helpful. A few list members requested a summary, so I will attempt:

  Most responses stated that trying to deal with college food services was
frustrating and unsuccessful. It is difficult to educate food service
employees and gain their cooperation in this matter. Also, cross
contamination in a cafeteria is almost inevitable. However, small private
schools are often much more willing to work with a celiac to make cafeteria
eating possible than are larger public/state schools.

  It was suggested that I speak with the Campus Dining Director of
prospective colleges in order to determine the school's willingness and
ability to accomodate the GF diet. One list member said that I could I
could possibly eat salad (with my own dressing) from the cafeteria, so that
I could be there to socialize with friends, then cook the rest of my food
elsewhere. Another said that her school had a "kosher dining hall" which
was very willing to prepare GF meals for her.

  The general consensus was that most colleges (with a little prodding)
will make special exceptions for a celiac to cook food for him/herself
and not pay for the meal plans that other students are required to pay
for.  Under the "Disabilities Act," schools are required to accomodate
students with special diets, as long as it is ordered by a doctor
(typically through a note). I was told that "reminding" colleges of this
portion of the Disablilities Act may make them instantly much more
willing to accomodate.

  It may also be possible at some schools for a celiac to have a special
dorm room with stove/range, or otherwise, priviledges to use a kitchen
elsewhere on campus. The most common response was that I should cook most
of my own food and steer clear of the cafeteria except for plain fruits and
vegetables, unless I find a college that is very willing to accomodate and
has proved to be reliable in such matters.

  It was suggested that I purchase a small refrigerator, microwave, and
pressure cooker, and request to use a portion of a freezer on campus. Any
food made outside of the cafeteria could possibly be brought in to the
dining area (with special arrangements) in order to eat with friends.

Thanks again for all the advice and the wonderful encouragement too!
Christie