Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:41:29 -0500
From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>

These go along with the email listed previously...overdue summary on
Rice Polish.

These came from Mirielle, at [log in to unmask]
Here is the master mix recipe for GF Bisquick mix:

A.J.'s Special Gluten-Free Baking Mix
This recipe comes to us from A.J. McEvoy.

3 Cups Brown Rice Flour
1 Cup White (Sweet) Rice Flour
1 Cup Almond Flour
3/4 Cup Tapioca Starch
3/4 Cup Potato Starch
1 Cup GF Sweet Buttermilk Powder (be sure to read the label to avoid
   things like "modified food starch", etc.)
1/4 Cup GF Baking Powder
1/4 Cup Ener-G Foods brand Rice Polish (Can use 1/2 cup if you prefer
   really high-fiber)
1/4 Cup Xanthan Gum

To make recipes from this mix, go to this site:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/search/index.html

Also, I have posted some at the one below:

http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/messages

more from Mirielle

Also, I use this all purpose flour mix with the best result:

John Poindexter's All Purpose Mix
Posted to the List by John Poindexter <[log in to unmask]>

4 cups Brown Rice Flour
1 1/2 cups Sweet Rice Flour
1 cup Tapioca Starch Flour
1 cup Rice Polish
1 tablespoon Guar Gum

Whisk all ingredients together. TIP: Make large batches and store in
plastic zip lock bags in freezer.

These came from Carolyn at [log in to unmask]
Ener G foods has recipes using Rice polish. I have quite a bit of it and if
you keep it in an airtight container( TUPPERWARE is what I use) it won't
go bad fast.I have some left that is over a year old and it is still
good.

You can freeze it also but in an airtight container.  I've had food
allergies that I've been aware of since 1985 so i'm use to storing alot
of the alternative flours.here are a few recipes using the Rice polish;

Rice polish MUFFINS

1/2cup rice polish(sift once before measuring)
1 cup Rice Flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk (if milk allergy use soyquik)
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon oil

Sift all dry ingredients together at least 3 times.ADD milk,beaten egg
and oil.Beat until smooth.Pour into large oiled muffin  pan (8)  or
small muffin tin(12).Fill 3/4 the way full.bake at 375 for at least 18-
20 minutes.

RICE POLISH PANCAKES

1/3 cup rice polish              1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup rice  flour              1 Cup Buttermilk (use Soy quik if
                                      allergic to milk)
1 teaspoon soda                  2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon baking powder       1 beaten egg

sift all dry ingredients together.Add remaining ingredients and stir
just until blended .Drop by spoonfuls onto lightly oiled griddle.cook
till sides look brown then turn and cook, till done.then enjoy with
butter and syrup if desired.

Rice POLISH Drop Cookies

1 1/2 cups sifted Rice Polish                       1 1/2 cups  rice Flour
1/2 teaspoon soda        1 teaspoon salt            1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup shortening       1 cup brown sugar          1 EGG (or egg replacer)
1 teaspoon Vanilla       1 cup Milk (soy quik)      1 cup nuts (optional)

Sift polish, flour,salt and cinnamon together.  IN separate bowl cream
sugar and shortening together,add egg and vanilla.beat until
fluffy.  Alternately beat in milk and flour mixture, Stir in nuts if adding
them. Drop by spoonfuls onto oiled baking sheet.Bake at 375 for approx.
15 minutes

You can also use RICE POLISH to Fry your chicken in.

FRIED CHICKEN

skinned chicken pieces
1 cup rice polish           1 teaspoon pepper if desired
1 teaspoon paprika          frying oil

Dry chicken.  Put all dry ingredients together in a paper bag or whatever
you wanna shake your chicken up in.Place one piece of chicken at a time
in the bag and shake up thoroughly to make sure chicken is totally
coated,Remove from bag and slowly shake off excess flour.Coat all pieces
desired.Place chicken in frying pan in 1/2 in to 3/4 in hot hot oil.Brown
pieces on all sides at medium to high heat.Remove frying pan and cool.Add
enough water to cover chicken .cover with Lid and let simmer 1 hour
turning occasionally.When done,increase heat remove enough water so the
chicken can fry(instead of simmer).Fry each side till crisp.

from Beth Ryan at [log in to unmask]

CORNELIA'S COFFEE CAKE (recipe from 1998 Conference at Children's
Hospital, Columbus, OH and adapted by Beth Ryan)

1 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup rice polish  (this should be stored in fridge or freezer not on
   the shelf)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder-GF
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Sift all together until ingredients ae all one color. Important.

Cream thoroughly 1/2 cup, or 1 stick of butter or oleo and 1/2 cup
granulated sugar

3 eggs well beaten (if you are trying to deal with cholesterol, too,
then Scramblers or egg whites may be substituted but texture and volume
may be different than if regular eggs are used.

1 cup sour cream-GF

Add a small amount of the dry ingredients to the butter-sugar mixture
and beat. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the remainder of the dry
ingredients alternately with the sour cream and beat 2-3 mintues until
well blended.

Spread one half the batter into a 13/9/2 pan which has been sprayed with
a GF product (I use Kroger Canola Cooling Oil).  Just be certain that
there is no modified starch added to the cooking spray you use UNLESS it
is from corn.)  Spoon one half of the struesel topping over the batter.
Put remaining batter over that and cover with the remainder of the sugar
mixture.  Bake at 325 degrees F.  for 40-45 minutes.  Test with
toothpick.

STREUSEL TOPPING
   Mix together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 1/2 tsp.  cinnamon and 1/2
cup finely chopped nuts.  If you have access to either pecan or almond
meal they add more flavor than the nuts as they can be mixed easier.
Just substitute for the nuts.

This recipe freezes well and also keeps in refergerator for several days

IF WELL WRAPPED.  I sometimes heat my pieces in
the microwave before eating. ENJOY.

----

This came from Dot at [log in to unmask]

Am sending along  formula for a G/F flour mix, that is terrific, you can
use 1 cup of this mixture in place of 1 cup of regular (non -gluten)
flour in any recipe your wish to make, including those you used prior to
baking with g/f flours, in other words use this mix cup for cup as
called for in any reciep.  Does not work well however, in Angel cakes or
Chiffon cakes, nor yeast breads.  You can make cakes, cookies, quick
breads or whatever using this mix. I have made everything from delicate
Tortes to fancy cookies to Banana bread with this mix.  If you have any
questions get back to me, will try to help out.

The most difficult part of making up this mix is locating Rice Polish.
Several of us now get together and order it so we have it on hand.
Would suggest you put the boxes  of rice polish (or remove the bags from
the boxes, will take less room that way) place them into a freezer bag
and store them in the freezer.  Since the rice polish does contain oils
from the outer covering of the rice and could become rancid best to keep
them frozen or refrigerated until used.

All Purpose G/F Mix

4 cups brown rice flour (I have used 2 cups white rice flour and 2 cups
   brown rice flour)
1 1/2 cups Sweet Rice Flour (also called Glutenous Rice Flour)
1 cup Tapioca Starch Flour
1 cup Rice Polish (Available from EnerG)
1 tablespoon xanthan or Guar gum (your choice)
1-2 tablespoons unflavored geleatin
1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid

I store this mix in a freezer bag in the refrigerator.

 This mix was posted to the list a couple of years ago by Cathy
Poindexter.

That's about it..

Thanks to all for the recipes/suggestions..

I've since moved my Rice Polish into the freezer (hoping it didn't go
bad while it was sitting in the cabinet all that time)...

While I haven't had time to make up any of the stuff listed
above..including the flour mixes..i'm hoping to do a lot of that here
pretty soon...

Take care!

Andrea