From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:59:03 EST

			    Back to Basics
			    --------------
		 summarized by Tom & Carolyn Sullivan

Our February meeting covered a wide range of topics.  Mary Guerriero,
our president, covered the basics from the standpoint of being
gluten-free (GF).  Dorothy Vaughan, our dietitian advisor, stated the
basics of the GF diet.  Dr.  Alexander, our physician advisor, and Dr.
Belknap, a pediatric gastroenterologist, handled Q & A from the
medical side.  And members Janet Armil and Diane Konjarevich, gave two
different views of how to travel as a celiac.  It was a most
informative and fast moving evening that of course included tasty GF
treats from the members.

Mary began the evening on a positive note by referring to our
condition as a Gluten-Free Lifestyle rather than a diet.  She also
reminded everyone that we don't remove breading from chicken and eat
the chicken because the breading has already contaminated the chicken;
we don't eat the filling out of pies because the pie crust has already
contaminated the filling; and we don't lick postage stamps to apply
them to letters because the Post Office will not confirm that the glue
is GF.  She suggested that celiacs are safer by using their own
utensils, such as colanders, cutting boards, and toasters.  And of
course celiacs must be careful with knives or spoons in condiments, so
that the condiments do not become contaminated.  (If we all followed
grandma's advice all the time, there would be no problem:  Take your
butter, jelly, sauce, etc., and put it on your own butter dish.  Then
use your own utensils to transfer it to your bread, potatoes, etc.
That way you won't contaminate any one else's food.)

In discussing the diet and foods, Dorothy noted the greater number of
foods available to celiacs now.  So if one has a problem or reaction
with a specific food, find another food just like a non-celiac would
do.  Also, if one uses the Kitchen Basics (a GF broth) recipe
pamphlets, be careful and read the recipes.  A few call for couscous
or pasta which, unless GF, are not allowed.  As regards oats, there
are a lot of unknowns and it is still on our forbidden list.  Quinoa
is scientifically not a wheat grain but contamination is possible and
your reaction may be personal.  Read the labels carefully.  Dorothy
noted that caramel needs verification because of the source, but Coke
products are okay because the source has been verified as GF.

The doctors noted that blood testing is for screening purposes ONLY.
The definitive test for celiac disease (CD) is a biopsy of the small
intestine.  CD is a lifelong diagnosis and does not require a second
opinion if it is biopsy-diagnosed.  There are conditions of transient
food intolerance that can occur and/or clear up spontaneously, but CD
requires compliance to a lifelong GF diet to avoid intestinal damage
and other complications.

Janet and Diane both traveled to Italy last year, had a fantastic
time, enjoyed themselves immensely and had no troubles eating GF.
That, however, was the only similarity in their trips or preparations.
Janet took a GF tour sponsored by Sully's Living Without so she had no
difficulties with the daily three meals as they were all taken care
of.  As she frankly admitted, she forgot she was a celiac and just
enjoyed.  Her preparations, just in case, included such things as
Dietary Specialties crackers, Genisoy GF soy nuts, both salted and
plain, raw almonds and boxes of Taste Adventure green split pea and
black bean soups.  Diane, on the other hand, was traveling to see
things on a tour that was NOT GF, and was less concerned with when,
how, or if meals would occur.  She did find that the tour guide was
able to translate but there was less flexibility in eating.  She
recommends getting a good restaurant card, learning about the foods in
the region, and going to places that are used to dealing with
tourists, as the best way to eat GF in another country.  To hold
herself over between meals, she used Atkins Bars, high-calorie,
low-carbohydrate protein bars, or Genisoy.  So choose your style of
travel and enjoy.