From:
rick & christie schroeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:46:22 -0600

I had a few replies about the issue of information being put forth on
this list regarding balsamic vinegar and charcoal briquettes containing
gluten. While there is no evidence that balsamic vinegar is made from
anything but fermented grapes that are aged in wooden barrels, some said
that they appear to have a reaction to it. Why that happens is not
clear. So, as with other foods that bother celiacs, you just need to
avoid it if it causes problems for you. The person who said the cheaper
balsamics are "cut" with grain vinegar does not have any proof that this
is so. Makes me wary of some of the info that is put out on this list.

Also, the charcoal briquettes issue was one that some say is a
documented fact..... some brands are binded with gluten. My theory,
however, is that with the high heat they burn at in grilling, gluten
could not survive to contaminate any food that is being cooked above. I
know the grill itself can be contaminated, but it still seems like undue
worry to think the charcoal could be a problem.

Christie in Austin, TX