From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:24:25 -0800

I was experimenting with a cheese recipe that I'd gotten from another
list.  I tried and wound up with "fried lentil mush" instead of the
crumbly, crispy fried lentil "cheese" you are supposed to get from it.
Maybe it was bc I used the quick soak and they got too soft.  Anyway, I
combined that recipe with some other mock cheese recipes and came up with
crackers!  They are actually pretty good - not quite Goldfish, but hey
what can you do with no cheese and no wheat?  So here is what I came up
with.  There is a stage where you could probably use it as cheese sauce
for mac & cheese.  It has a less strong taste than the Macaroni & Chreese
stuff that is just too strong for my taste.  It "sets up" pretty fast as
it cools, so maybe adding more water if you want a sauce.

Kathy

Mock Cheese Sauce

1/2 c red lentils
2 c water
3 T olive oil
1 tsp salt
2 T cider vinegar
1 T tahini
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp tumerick
dash hot sauce

Combine washed lentils with water in small saucepan.  Bring to boil and
cook 2 minutes.  Cover and let sit for about 1 hour.  Drain, reserving
cooking liquid.

In large non-stick fry pan, heat oil and fry lentils until a dry mush.
Stir frequently.  Tansfer to blender jar.  Add remaining ingredients
along with 4 T reserved cooking liquid.  Process on med-high heat until a
smooth sauce.  If too thick, add more cooking liquid.

Mock Cheese Crackers

1 recipe Mock Cheese Sauce
6 T GF flour mix (I used Hagman's Featherlight Rice Mix)

Add flour to cheese sauce and process on low speed until well combined.
Transfer mixture, which should be about the consistency of porridge to a
pastry bag fitted with a wide, flat tipped.  A ribbed tip makes a nice
texture.  (I used a #48, but a wider one would have been better.)  Pipe
squiggled ribbons about 1 inch long onto parchment lined baking pans.
Sprinkle lightly with salt.  Bake at 350F for 15 minutes or until just
starting to brown.  At this point, the crackers will be soft.  Turn off
oven and allow to remain for 30 minutes or until crisp.  Remove from oven
and allow to cool completely.  Store in airtight container.