From:
Pat McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:27:13 -0800

I've heard that people with gluten intolerance may be especially
susceptible to mouth ulcers known as aphthous stomatitis. They are the
painful ulcers that occur on the soft tissue in the mouth e.g. tongue,
soft palate, cheeks (as opposed to herpes ulcers that occur primarily on
hard surfaces e.g. gums).

I used to get these aphthous ulcers frequently but had not had any since
going gluten-free...until this past week when I experience the worst
outburst of ulcers ever.  Since they are not caused exclusively by a
gluten reaction, I'm hesitant to say that gluten must have snuck into my
diet somehow.  It has made me wonder though about:

How many others with CD or DH get these aphthous ulcers?

Do they occur immediately after gluten ingestion or several days later?

Do they occur as a one-time reaction to gluten or only after a pattern
of gluten ingestion over time?

What have you found that helps with the pain or promotes more rapid heaing?

What other causes have you found e.g. eating food that's too hot or too
spicy or has sharp crusts or high acid levels? (One theory is that in
susceptible people, a mouth trauma brings on the outbreak)

I'll summarize responses for the list.

Pat