Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:16:50 -0500

Dear listmates - (long)

I have always loved Dr. Martin Luther King's famous speech,
the I Have a Dream speech.

I thought I would write my own version of the I Have a Dream
speech - for Celiacs.

Here it is - I couldn't resist.  Enjoy.  -Vicki

"I HAVE A DREAM" - Celiac version - by list member Vicki E. Jones

I have a dream.....That someday Lean Cuisine will have a gluten-free line.

I have a dream.....That someday we will be able to buy any brand of ice
cream, in any flavor, and it will be labeled No Gluten and made in a
gluten-free facility.

I have a dream.....That someday we will be able to walk into movie
theatres everywhere, and order buttered popcorn, and the boxes will be
marked "This product contains No Gluten."

I have a dream....That someday Seattle Sutton will offer ready-made meals,
delivered to home or office, that are absolutely gluten-free, and made
and prepared in a gluten-free facility.

I have a dream.....That someday we will be able to walk into a separate
gluten-free bakery section in any supermarket, far away from the regular
bakery section, with its own equipment, and no cross-contamination.

I have a dream....That someday every supermarket, everywhere, will have a
separate aisle of gluten-free breads, rolls, hot dog buns, hamburger
buns and even cinnamon buns.

I have a dream....That someday manufacturers will get with the program,
and stop ignoring the approximately 3 MILLION members of the US
population (if it is 1 person in 150) that have Celiac Sprue.

I have a dream....That someday the allowable gluten in products will be
ZERO ppm (parts per million) - NOT 200 ppm, NOT even 20 ppm - but ZERO
ppm.

I have a dream....That someday the Olive Garden will have a separate
kitchen, providing gluten-free menu selections that include gluten-free
breadsticks, and salad with gluten-free croutons and gluten-free
dressing.

I have a dream....That someday every city and town, every fast food
restaurant, and every hot dog stand will have food that Celiacs can eat
safely....and they won't use the cooking oil from the fryer for foods that
contain gluten.

I have a dream....That someday Baker's Square restaurants will actually
have food that Celiacs can eat.

I have a dream.....That someday the young employees of Boston Market
will stop contaminating the gluten-free items with spoons that fell in
the macaroni and cheese.

I have a dream....That someday pharmaceutical manufacturers - whether
makers of prescription or non-prescription drugs - will not only make
all of their products absolutely gluten-free, but lactose free, since
50% of Celiacs are sensitive to lactose.

I have a dream....That someday church members and synagogue members will
bring gluten-free treats for the Celiac members of their congregations,
and make their special occasion cakes out of gluten-free flours.

I have a dream....That someday there will be absolute truth in labeling,
and any gluten-containing products used in foods, beverages, in
processing, or in packaging or on conveyor belts will be clearly stated
on the label.

I have a dream....That someday, yes, someday, we will be able to eat and
drink gluten-free versions of everything non-Celiacs eat and drink,
paying the same price for each equivalent item as the gluten-containing
version, as free men, women, and children, no longer limited in our
selections.

Yes, I have a dream.