From:
Kieran or Donna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2001 07:18:26 -0500

 My original question:

I have been on a GF diet for about 10 months now, self diagnosed, and the
diet got rid of most of my symptoms.  I seem to do okay with dairy, but
something, something was accounting for less than perfect days.  I think I
have pinned it down to semisweet baking chocolate, which I thought should be
safe, till I saw where ya'll had discussed vanilla.  Nestle and Baker
semisweet baking squares seem to do it, and forget chocolate chips.  But the
Baker's German sweet chocolate seems to be okay, and the only difference on
the label is the lack of vanilla.  Cocoa is also fine.

Most of the responses have to do with the current party line on distillation
of alcohol, and how it probably leaves all of the gluten behind.  As one who
has made beer and wine in my time, and read up on distillation (no practical
esperience) I would say this is true for all but the most sensitive, as some
celiacs are probably dealing with hypersensitivities.  So far I don't think
I fit that category, so something else may have had hidden gluten that I
failed to suspect.  Only one person mentioned having trouble with these
products (that was really what I was hoping for, whether these products
bother anyone else, or if they can eat them just fine.)  Here are the
unusual answers:

it may indeed be the vanilla. there is a lot of controversy over whether
grain alcohol is a problem or not. i was experiencing gluten sensitivities
when i thought i shouldn't have been. finally eliminated products that have
alcohol or vinegar with no identifiable source. seems to have helped
tremendously.

I don't know about Bakers (haven't tried it) but I react to anything Nestle
makes.  When Nestle bought Carnation, I started reacting to Carnation
products too.  For example, one evening I had hot chocolate drinks using 3
packages of  Carnation hot chocolate mix.  I used up the last of the box.  I
went to the store the next day and bought a new box of Nestle's Carnation
hot chocolate mix -supposedly the same type.  I passed out after drinking
one package (one cup) of hot chocolate.  Scared my aunt silly!

My thanks to all!  Donna H