From:
Steve Majerus-Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 22:56:37 -0400

I would love to see a discussion on this "asymptomatic" issue.  Ingrid,
daughter of a celiac, wrote wanting to hear from those who are
"asymptomatic celiacs." She'd tested positive on the blood test,
negative on the endoscopy (after going g.f.), so she went off the gluten
free diet. Now she's waffling on the diet and wants to hear from "anyone
who doesn't noticably suffer."

I think I qualify for that group. Since learning that C.D. was a possibilty
for me several months ago, I've tried to learn all I could about the
disease. (I still am!) But the odd thing is, most of the things I read
didn't really "fit" with me. I didn't present with any of the symptoms that
so many celiacs seem to. The big clue with me was severe anemia, but that's
about it; I wasn't losing weight, wasting away, chained to my toilet or
breaking out. My blood tests were inconclusive; my endoscopy last month
showed I do have the disease.

I read some of the posts from others on this list and sometimes wonder if we
have the same malady. I know it can manifest in different ways but in my
case I am rather puzzled. People report severe reactions to ingesting
gluten - I have nothing of the sort, no reaction at all, in fact. And no
miraculous change since going g.f. the day of the biopsy, unlike what some
folks report. I'm being pretty careful, but there have been some slip-ups (I
now know that "wheat free" isn't always safe, for example) but I notice no
real change in my body since adopting these new restrictions. Aside from
overwhelming fatigue from the anemia (which was corrected by IV before the
CD diagnosis) I haven't really been "sick" so it's a bit maddening when
people ask me if I'm "better" or worse, tell me that they can tell that I'm
better already!

For what it's worth, my G.I. told me that he sees a few cases each year of
people like me who only have anemia. I don't know if Ingrid has even that,
but I can understand how she feels. Don't get me wrong; I'm not wishing I
was sicker or more sensitive. But it is a bit odd when you look and feel
pretty normal and yet suddenly you have this weird thing and have to change
your whole life. It also makes it harder to explain to others, too. I am new
to this whole scene and apologize if I'm overstepping by writing all this. I
just thought it was an interesting question and personally was feeling like
the only one without the usual troubles. I'd love to hear from others in the
same boat.

Jackie in Connecticut