From:
Christina Kuhne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 08:40:25 +1100

Dear Listees

Thank You to the many people who replied I appreciated the information
and the time it took to reply.  There were a few people who asked me to
summarrise so here goes.

From the information that I recieved it seems that it is not the
caffeinne that is dangerous to us but what the manufacturers add too
their coffee. Two brands that were suggested as being safe for us were.
MAXWELL HOUSE & FOLGERS. To fellows aussies I know Maxwell House is
available in Australia but not sure about Folgers but will be looking
for it.  However some people did tell me about the dangers in general of
caffiene however think that this is a separate issue to consider. I am
including some of the information I recieved I am only including replies
or part thereof  that relate to CD.

It's not the caffeine that bothers us, Christina. But many coffees are
not GF. Even more Decaf coffees are not.

  But the worst problems are with instant coffees and decafs. In the US,
anything by Maxwell House or Folgers are GF. Not a real problem if
you're careful to make sure it's GF.

I have not seen anything in journal articles or research about caffeine
being dangerous to celiacs - unless you had some other problem.
Caffeine in excess can make you jittery, and could possibly make any
cardiac arrhythmias worse, but otherwise, I have seen many studies
trying to link coffee with health problems, and it always seems that
coffee is ok after all.   Good luck.  I drink it everyday.

Sally (registered dietitian and celiac)

I have found absolutely no problem with coffee and caffeine.  However,
many coffee's are not pure coffee.  In restaurants they often use coffee
from suppliers of machines, coffee, etc.  These companies may put a
coffee extender, made of roasted grains, into their coffee.

I find that really good hotels and gourmet restaurants usually do not
use those cheaper coffees.

The flavoured coffees frequently contain cheap liqueurs such a imitation
Irish Creme, Grand Marnier, etc.  These are not safe.

My solution is to use the best I can afford, usually dark roasted, and
make my coffee at home.

We have a wonderful gourmet coffee company here on our island which
imports only the best coffees and roasts them on the island.  In spite
of all their claims to the contrary, there is something in their coffee
I react too.  So you can't be too careful.

If you have a problem with coffee, it is probably because of some
additive

I stopped drinking caffeine when my first bone scan, post-diagnosis,
showed too much bone loss. As you probably know, most Celiacs have
suffered some bone loss by the time of diagnosis because the
intestinal damage interferes with calcium absorption. Caffeine
likewise impedes calcium absorption. This is especially an issue for
menopausal and post-menopausal women because estrogen enhances the
body's ability to use the calcium you take in, either in foods or in
supplements. Less estrogen, obviously, makes it harder for the body
to use the calcium.

Pure, plain coffee shouldn't be a problem.  Coffee contains NO gluten.
Some flavoured coffees, ie, hazelnut, vanilla almond, etc...may be
problematic because the extracts may contain forbidden stuff.

One thing to keep in mind, though: Coffee can be a powerful laxative,
and you're going through a gluten injestion, it may make life more
miserable.  Also, caffeine (for everyone, not just people with Celiac
Disease) destroys many micro nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and
their chelated compounds.  For pwcd (people with celiac disease), many
of us need to hold onto all the nutrients we take in!!  Coffee can make
that more difficult.

Caffine is not recommended for the celiac.  Alcohol (including wine)
should also be avoided Note that caffine is found not only in coffee,
but also in tea and colas and other soft drinks.

Love Always Christina