From:
Grant Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 09:21:57 -0700
CAUTION: to anyone with (diabetic) gastroparesis

Animal protein, especially red meat, plugs the pylorus if it's in spasm.

Red meat is as contra as fibre for the paretic stomach because clogging
occurs at the very narrow pyloric valve.

Folks, such as myself, with gastroparesis, must reduce both soluble and
insoluble fibre in our diets for relief and I would never be able to eat
only red meat. :(

In fact, a small bit of white rice or bread is better tolerated, despite
the higher book value GI er al., the digestive conversion to glucose is
slowed below normal by the gastroparesis.

Hence, a McDonald's cheese burger with half the bun thrown away is
sometimes more tolerable than a T-Bone steak. :(

Garden Fresh Salads and raw vegetables are also out of the question
because of digestive difficulties.  Fruit is a double blow, digestion
and the lipogenic nature of fructose by entering the blood stream
directly :(

But, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

It's "tiny steps" related: as each small step is taken toward a more
"natural" diet there is a small step of improvement in the "challenges"
allowing yet another tiny step toward the goal.