PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Bernet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:35:08 EST
In a message dated 98-10-16 18:44:48 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< >What does it mean if you are chased by someone who has a gun, and then
>they shoot you?  But you don't die.  WHat lies behind that?
 I guess, they missed you

I guess it means you had a dream of being chased by someone who has a gun and
shot you.

Whatever Freud and Freudians claim about dream interpretation is no more valid
than what Hindu books of dreams ("If a man is riding on a buffalo . . . if he
is riding backwards . . .  if the buffalo rides on him . . . .") offer.  The
Talmus said around 15 centuries ago, "The meaning of a dream is according to
its interpretation."  Fritz Perls gave a very valuable lesson on dream
interpretation: every part of your dream is an aspect of yourself.

If you wish to follow Perls and the Gestalt therapy approach, fantasize
yourself variously as the chased, the chaser, the gun and the bullet.  Start
off by saying. e.g.  "I am the bullet.  I am shooting at myself.  I'm trying
to pierce the flesh but I miss . . ." Whatever words come up in your own
fantasy, of course.  When you've finished fantsizing all the various roles,
you may come up with lots of insights about your own functioning.  Those
insights are certainn to be different from the interpretations by anyone else
of a similar dream, and much more vlauable than anything you might take out of
a "cook-book" manual.

Michael Bernet