PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deanachka <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:53:50 EST
Dr. Eisman,
Actually my point didnt have much to do w/ the fact (or not) that Jewish
people in general have involved themselves in psychoananlysis. I was only
interested in whether this particular  Jewish orthodox group that I am
familiar with, is one of a rare kind. The reason i think it may be one of its
kind, is that although its not condemmed, it is not widly eccepted by the main
stream orthodoxy in that geografical area.

David Mittleman,
There is a small yeshivah in Queens, that is a little controversial w/ the
orthodox Jews that stumbled upon it. Its not a big issue, but the tension is
there. This yeshivah, runs more on the philosophies of Maimonedes then the
more mystical Jewish Rabbis, such as the Chofetz Chaim. They value rational,
reason, and the beauty of the logic of the Jewish law, as apposed to
practicing Judaism more of like a mysticism, or like some practice  Judaism in
a superstious manner. Thus the yeshivah teaches that to do the laws ascribed
in the jewish law one must be willing to do them w/ the reason in mind,
otherwise the actions  serve no purpose. The laws in the torah are written for
the benefit of bringing oneself to a more perfected self, where one is not
completly enslaved by his desires (neurosis). This is where they put
psychoananlysis into play w/ the laws of Judaism, for both serve a similiar
purpose in terms of "building" a healthy self.
This is the way I understand the yeshiva's "derech" (way), feel free to email
me personally, David, if u want to know more about what im talking of.
:) Diana