Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:18:11 -0400
"Dena L. Bruedigam" posted:
> For example, it says that each tablet (of the dessicated) is 130 mg.  My
> synthroid dose is .175 mg, which is quite a difference.  I'm assuming that
> the natural form is not at potent, but I would like to know how to estimate
> my dose other than just by trial and error.

My reply:

At the risk of being "off topic," I'll answer your question. The natural
thyroid is NOT less effective; it is more balanced and, from reading what
clinicians have to say, natural thyroid is more effective at alleviating
symptoms of sub-optimal thyroid function.   I've met many people who take
synthroid who still have a long list of hypothyroid symptoms.  Often their
physicians will not prescribe a higher does, even when the person has no
relief from symptoms, because the lab tests are in the "average" or "common"
range (which they call normal, meaning "the norm"--not healthy!).

Armour Thyroid is a whole food, derived from pig thyroid.  It contains T3 &
T4. Synthroid is a fractionated product made in a lab, which contains only
one of these hormones and, as a result of being a fraction of the whole, has
many side effects not attributed to whole thyroid (Armour, Westroid, and
other brands like it).

Contact the Broda Barnes Foundation for a list of practitioners experienced
in the use of natural thyroid and well versed in treating hypo and
hyperthroidism based on clinical symptoms and lab tests, rather than lab
tests alone. (203) 261-2101.

Rachel