From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 10:01:51 -0400
On Mon, 19 May 1997, Moira wrote:

> My son is 5 and was diagnosed as autistic/mentally retarded two years ago.

Hi Moira.  My son is 6 and was diagnosed with PDD/NOS almost 3
years ago.  No intelligence testing was done, but we were told to
"expect" mental retardation.

> We went gluten free about a year ago, roughly, the improvement has been
> absolutely unbelievable.

And we went gluten free a year and a half ago.  The improvement
was immediate and unmistakable.  When we have had gluten
accidents, the regression has also been unmistakable.  And when
we had intelligence testing done, his IQ was slightly above
average.

> Now that he is off gluten, he is alert and focused, however, he is not cured.

Right.

> My question is, do you think some carbos are ok?  He loves, craves, carbos.
> I am able to get everything else down by having the carbos there. I eat with
> him and direct him to take one bite meat, one bite vegetable, one bite
> carbo.  If I do not watch him, he will gobble all the carbos and leave
> everything else. Not always, but he definitely craves carbos. He does love
> ground meat, like ground turkey.

We have exactly the same experience.  Even though the gluten is
out of Dylan's diet, he is still eating a lot of starches.  Note
that *all* vegetables have some carbo content, but it's the
starches and grains in which they are most concentrated.

I don't think anybody knows whether paleodiet is a good treatment
for autism/PDD.  We can only try to figure out what seems likely
to help.  I am on this list because of my own health and weight
issues, and because the more I learn about nutrition and
carbohydrates, the more I suspect a connection between all of
this and autism/PDD.

Here are some things that I have learned:

        PDD, autism, and ADHD appear to be increasing in
        frequency in the population, especially during the past
        10 or 15 years.

        During this same time period, people especially in the US
        and UK have been urged to consume foods that are high in
        "complex" carbohydrates and relatively low in protein and
        fat: the so-called "heart-healthy" diet.  (E.g., in the
        US, consumption of pasta is up 115% in the last decade)
        Many women are recommended to use this diet during
        pregnancy, too.

        Many kids with autism or ADHD (or both) are positively
        addicted to starchy carbohydrates, often consuming little
        else.  Even when parents have successfully been able to
        reduce or eliminate "sweeets" from their children's
        diets, they often substitute starchy snacks, such as
        pretzels.  Pretzels actually cause a more rapid rise in
        blood glucose levels than table sugar.

        As consumption of carbohydrates has risen, so has
        consumption of partially hydrogenated fats, in the form
        of margarine and also in many processed foods (chips,
        cookies, pastries, etc.), because they have a longer
        shelf life.

        All carbohydrates, complex or simple, are either
        converted to glucose or stored as glycogen and body fat.
        Starchy carbohydrates are converted to glucose very
        rapidly.  Bread, potatoes, and white rice, for example,
        raise blood sugar levels faster than plain table sugar,
        faster than candy bars.  Puffed rice cakes raise blood
        sugar faster than almost any other known food.

        When blood sugar levels rise, the pancreas produces
        insulin to trigger the process that creates glycogen and
        body fat.  This is the part that makes people like myself
        fat, but insulin has many other effects.

        One effect that insulin has is that it inhibits many
        protein synthesis operations.  Essentially, when insulin
        levels are up, the body is in storage mode, not growth
        mode.  This includes synthesis of neurotransmitters.

        And if the diet is very high in carbohydrates, it is
        going to be relatively low in protein anyway, so there
        won't be a lot of amino acids available for protein
        synthesis.

        Growth and repair of nerve tissue also requires an
        adequate supply of lipids of the right sort.  Partially
        hydrogenated vegetable oils are useless for this; they
        supply only empty calories.  In contrast, the oils from
        many nuts are monounsaturated and are useful for this.
        But nut oils that are extracted from nuts are very
        vulnerable to oxidation, both in the bottle and in the
        body.  As long as the oils stay in the nuts, however,
        they are protected from oxidation by vitamin E.

        Insulin also has dramatic effects on a class of hormones
        called eicosanoids.  These come in opposing pairs:
        vasodilators and vasoconstrictors, protein synthesis
        facilitators and inhibitors, anti-inflammation and
        pro-inflammation.  Insulin tends to suppress the activity
        of the vasodilators, synthesis facilitators, and
        anti-inflammation eicosanoids.

        Therefore, a diet that causes insulin levels to be
        chronically elevated will tend to cause frequent
        vasoconstriction and inflammation, and will tend to
        inhibit protein synthesis.  It won't do these things
        *absolutely*, but it will tend to push the balance of
        metabolic operations in that direction.

At age 6, Dylan is doing far better than anyone gave us any cause
to expect, but he still has intermittent attention deficit
problems and a vulnerability to overstimulation.  The
intermittent nature of these problems convinces me that they are
at least in part metabolic.  I absolutely understand how
difficult it is to get the starches out of a kid's diet.  We have
not been able to do it yet.  So we are simply trying to work in
that direction, and we are especially trying to get more protein
in.  We're using lots of nuts for snacks (but not peanuts; for
some reason lots of autistic/PDD kids have a poor reaction to
them), since these have plenty of fats for energy, and the
protein/carb content is generally quite balanced.

Todd Moody