Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kevin & Mara Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 17:26:34 -0700
At 01:06 PM 5/19/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>One problem.  Macadamia nuts can't be cracked by humans.  It takes a vice,
>>and that's technology.
>>
>>Sorry,
>>John Pavao
>
>Maybe I am being too dour and missing some humor in the above post (I hope
>so!); however, I believe it is fairly well-known that even chimps have been
>known to crack nuts with rocks. Surely humans are just as resourceful with
>their considerably more sophisticated technology using stones, bones, etc.,
>even 40,000 years ago and before, even if one wants to discount modern
>technology "vices" (in both senses of the word!). :-) Would macadmia nuts
>truly be resistant to persistent or clever use of stone tools? Technology
>(tool use), up to a certain rudimentary level of sophistication at least,
>is part of the working definition that evolutionary biologists use (along
>with bipedalism, large brain, language, etc.) to define the human
>evolutionary adaptation that has contributed to our survival as a species.
>
>--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>

Ward,
There was recently some discussion of this on the Lowcarb list, and I
believe the person who had the macadamias with shells still on said that
the nuts resisted ALL efforts with hammers, nutcrackers, his/her car (tried
running over the bag); the only thing that worked was a vice and a lot of
pressure.  Sounds like no chimp would have been able to crack one.

I believe that macadamias have been domesticated only since Europeans got
to Australia.  Can anyone back me up on this?  I read it in a book called
'Guns, Germs and Steel,' about why Europe developed technology and started
colonizing the rest of the world before other civilizations had a chance
to.  Interesting read.

Mara
Don't just knock on Death's door.  Ring the bell and run away -- he really
hates that.
[log in to unmask] (Mara) or [log in to unmask] (Kevin)
ATTENTION: ALL SPAMMERS WHO POST TO MY ACCOUNT ARE IMMEDIATELY REPORTED TO
THEIR POSTMASTER.