From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:07:04 -0800

I received only 12 messages from people who thought the list of hidden
gluten traps would be a good idea (and a couple who were shocked that I
played so fast and loose in restaurants :), and some examples from some of
them.

Here is the post I began with:

 > I wonder if it would be useful if we worked together to make up a list
 > of hidden gluten and lactose traps.
 >
 > We might even consider having certain kinds of foods explained: for
 > instance, what do you watch for in Chinese restaurants. I've been getting
 > caught recently because many of them use a lot of chicken broth in their
 > dishes, and often I think they use canned broth. Tears (both meanings of
 > the word) me up.
 >
 > In Mexican restaurants I've learned to watch for salsa. If the salsa is in
 > a thin transparent liquid, I don't have any problems. But if the liquid is
 > thicker and opaque, it hits me hard: I think maybe they've used canned
 > tomato paste or puree, and it's not likely to be GF. -vance

Following are some of the suggestions I received: (this from Dr. Mamel,
very competent Tampa-area gastroenterologist) cheap brands may contain
wheat flour to increase the weight - in general, be wary of anything
processed places that do baking on the premises - might not matter to
all of us or at all establishments, but flour does travel in air
production lines coated with flour, particularly regarding rice
crackers, corn crackers, candy

here are two real hidden ones... charcoal briquets can be loaded with
gluten... smoked fish from the bricks and chopped garlic in a bottle has some
gluten preservative...

My vote goes to pills of any sort - vitamin or prescription. Many celiacs
don't think about the filler that is in all of these, which is not required
to be listed as an ingredient in the PDR, and can be wheat starch.

[L]ike candies on flour belts. Chocolate candies on flour covered belts.

[C]arrots in restraunts with a glaze usually cornstarch

Coffee

FOR EATING IN CHINESE RESTAURANTS:

When I eat in Chinese restaurants I always tell them to use only broiled
chicken, no broth or flour. Also, that I can not have any of their noodles.
When I explain to them why I can not eat anything containing flour, etc. I
have never had a problem in their restaurants.

When i go chinese, i ask for my food cooked in water only with fresh
ginger and garlic......mmmmmm. [Ed. note]: I assume this means as
opposed to mixtures of ginger and garlic?

Chinese restaurants - soy sauce, sharing dishes with those who might not
be careful with soy-sauced utensils