From:
Andy Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 18:57:11 -0600

There was a post a couple of days ago expressing some hesitation about
the GF status of Hawaiian Punch.  I called the customer service number
(USA) (800)696-5891.  In answer to my question as to whether the
Hawaiian Punch Fruit Juicy Red included any ingredients derived from
wheat, oats, rye, or barley, the customer service rep responded that,
due to the product's containing corn syrup, there could be minute traces
of corn gluten, but there was nothing derived from wheat, oats, rye, or
barley, so the product is considered safe for someone with celiac sprue.

I always have a greater comfort level when I name the four grains in my
question, rather than asking about "gluten."  If the response mentions
"gluten," or celiac disease, then I feel like the company has researched
the issue.  Possibly the fact that the rep was trained to mention "corn
gluten" could have been the source of some misgivings on a caller's
part.

Based on the label and the representative's response, we're keeping
Hawaiian Punch in our house's list of allowed foods.

Andy Thomson
Chicago, IL