From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:40:39 -0500
Ya got to love it when a question says "an error"...
OK, so I took my turn up on the soap box.  Moving on...

Did the error say anything about the second copy of FAT being better,
or give anything like "a choice" of what to do?
Do you have any utilities (like Norton, or such) that would have  "imaged"
the FAT "in advance" (for this sort of emergency), or the other Norton program
that will go in and try to re-build the FAT? (I am a little rusty on that one,
but I have used it, and it worked for me...)
But most of all, do you have any more details for "the list" to go on?
(I "think" the Norton manual gives detailed instructions on how to respond to
certain error messages...)

In the meantime... Damage control:
Are you after a complete "recovery", or a chance to just "get the data out"?
(Be realistic, and keep your options open...)

I would not WRITE to this drive in its present condition.
That means do not install any utilities to this drive (NOW) to "save" it...
If at all possible, access this drive from another copy of a similar (real close)
Operating System, booting from "a DIFFERENT" drive...
Change the jumpers, re-configure the CMOS, and hope/pray the BIOS can
"natively" recognize the geometry of the drive... And start from there...
I am trying to convey the idea to "read" the drive from "the outside"...
And good luck...  PS: I do not consider a hard drive "failed" unless
it clicks, and/or makes grinding noises...       Rick Glazier
Please keep all replies on list, so "everyone" can participate.