From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:40:25 -0500
At 07:54 PM 12/18/2000 +1300, Roger Griffiths wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have installed Win2K Pro with little trouble coming from the current
>machine. However when I looked in the Event Viewer tonight I see that with
>every session, the following messages have been recorded. Can someone tell
>me what the problem is and if it is serious? The third message occurs less
>often but seems relative to one of the other messages.
(EDIT)

I took a look in my Event Viewer and found errors of the same nature. After
a little poking around, I decided that they are related to "Windows
Management Instrumentation", which can be found running under Services.
I've experimented with setting it to start manually rather than
automatically with no apparent problems, and the errors disappear.

I have no clue yet what Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is, but
turning it off seems to cause no harm in my standalone machine. WMI does
list a dependency on RPC (remote procedure call), so perhaps it has
something to do with a network function.

As an aside, looking in Services makes me wonder just how many of those
services that Windows installs to run automatically need to be there for a
desktop standalone. In other words, how much could it be trimmed down, and
would the machine run better. Anyone know?