From:
Diana Benoit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 19:52:01 -0500
Hi,

I just built a system with the following specifications:

733 mhz pentium III
20 gig HDD on IDE 1- one partition (C: and D:)
52x CD-Rom - master on IDE 2
CD-RW - slave on IDE 2
Floppy
Abit VH6 mother board VIA Chipset with built in Audio
8 mb video ram
256 mb sdram
56k v.90 modem
Windows 98 SE operating system

Now for the problem:

In the device manager under "hard disk controllers" it has the dreaded
yellow thing with the exclamation point next to "Primary IDE controller
(dual fifo)."  The list continues with "Secondary IDE controller (dual
fifo)" and the "VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller."  These two items are

OK.

Under the "Performance" tab it says that Drive C: and Drive D: are using

DOS compatibility mode file systems.  It also says it will cause things
to move slower.

When the computer has been on for awhile the mouse does not respond
correctly and the programs open and respond more slowly.  Eventually the

computer has to be restarted to cause it to act "normally."

I am unable to remove the offender in the device manager without
removing the "VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller."  Then the computer
freezes and I have to turn it off and then on again and it installs the
hardware the same as before.

Could it be the BIOS (which is what I'm thinking)?  I think I followed
the instructions in setting it up, but I can tell you the Auto detect
only detected a 2 gig hard drive instead of a 20 gig hard drive.  I had
to set it to "Large" in order to get it to read the full capacity.  Come

to think about it, when everything was set to Auto detect, I didn't have

the conflict.  There has to be something I'm missing.

It has been suggested that there may a "NOIDE" entry in the registry.
If that is removed the drive will install correctly.

Any suggestion?

Thank you all in advance,
Diana Benoit

                     visit our download web page at: