From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:34:07 -0500
The main reason for separating drives on ide channels
was to allow the secondary channel to run at a different
mode from the primary in case the best mode each drive
could use was not the same.  IDE devices used PIO modes
0 thru 4, and several variations of DMA and UDMA.  Today,
ide channels are capable of supporting mixed modes, so it
is no longer an issue.  The question you asked has always
seemed to me something only a benchmark could answer, in
real life I could never tell if a system had a slave disk,
or two masters.  If you use the cdrom extensively, I guess
your present setup is probably best.  I would, however, enter
CMOS setup and inspect my ide settings.  Typically, in your
era of pc bios, there were several user-configurable settings
in cmos, 32 bit mode, PIO, and block mode.  Of these, 32 bit
mode can cause the most trouble, if your drive doesn't support
it.  It also seemed to me to add the least performance.  I
vaguely remember hearing that Windows bypasses this part of
the bios anyway when it loads its own ide drivers.  PIO,
on the other hand, can make a huge difference, if you increase
it from a cautious default of 2, say, to a maximum of 4.  I
used to set block mode to auto, but you can try 16 if your cmos
has more than just an off and on option.  Of all the drives
I remember, I had only one larger than 400 meg that ran at PIO 3,
a Maxtor 850.  Everything else larger than 400 ran at pio 4.
In case you didn't guess, udma is better than PIO, if your bios
or ide adapter supports it.
Tom Turak