C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 22:04:01 -0500
now this i like.

-----Original Message-----
From: Deri James [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 6:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Help! Need Disability Awareness training comments

On Thursday 01 March 2001  6:15 am, Betty B wrote:
> Howdy all,

Howdy pard.

I'm going to answer this for you - forward it if you like. :-)

> "I don't know what your particular handicap is. Like everyone, I am sorry
> you and everyone with a handicap are denied the abilities afforded the
> healthiest (physically, emotionally, mentally, artistically, athletically,
> etc.) members of our society... a membership that doesn't include me.

I'm really sorry you've got so many problems. It is good you are aware and
accept your problems "(physically, emotionally, mentally, artistically,
athletically, etc.)". What a burden for you - I only score 2 on that list.
Its very hard to imagine someones disability from an e-mail, but I get a
feeling from some of the things you write below that perhaps your major
problems are "emotional and mental" - never mind - you are still a "member
of
society".

> The strength of character, spirit, maturity, humor, and wisdom that comes
> from overcoming tremendous obstacles, possessed by most handicapped
people,
> generally serve as in inspiration to everyone.

Do you have problems typing? I think you are great - struggling with all
those things you've got wrong with you.

> That this nation is rich
> enough to be able to accommodate those members of our families and
cultures
> in every way we can to make our brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers,
aunts,
> uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, friends, neighbors, etc., lives as
> comfortable, rewarding, happy, and productive as possible, is a
testimonial
> to all.

Actually the US doesn't score too well in a number of areas, compared to
other industrial countries, I don't think we can pat ourselves on the back
too hard.

> But, is it possible that some amongst us ask too much? Is it possible that
> bitterness from the unfairness of being handicapped causes some
handicapped
> people to take it out on those not handicapped? Where do we draw the line?
> To accommodate people with a fear of heights, should all buildings be only
> one story tall? Should millions of precious public education dollars be
> spent on one mentally challenged student?"

Sorry, got me a bit lost here. You mentioned earlier the "strength of
character" and "wisdom" gained from "overcoming [your] tremendous
obstacles",
but here you reveal a darker side. Schizophrenia is nothing to be ashamed
of,
try to control that bitterness though.

> Again, I am sorry for being so inactive right now.  I miss the daily
banter
> and wonderful wit.  I love C-PALSY!

Have some fun with her, don't get serious - its a troll!!!

> Betty

Cheers

Deri