PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
William Theaux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 17:33:47 -0400
Prof Young is not answering really D. Henderson's question. The question
was:

>Is the end result that 'real' teachers of psychoanalysis and psychotherapy
>are connected to universities, while the teaching that happens
>in other settings is de-legitimized?

A formal deny is not sufficient.
Prof Young may say that he is mixed and that the number of professors is
just a measurement, he does not address what he stated:
>people focusing on psychoanalysis, although their appointment
>may nominally be in another discipline., e.g., cultural studies. I
>dare say some Lacanians would fall under this category.

To make the question more precise , we can look more precisely to a clinical
example. Prof Young has published his "NEW IDEAS ABOUT THE OEDIPUS COMPLEX."
In this article - 1994, 1999 - there is no mention of the psychoanalyst
Velikovsky who has identified Oedipus with Akhnaton - accredited by many
today, even by some universities. He never mention Karl Abraham on the topic
(though he mention him about the breasts). The professorial ideas about the
Oedipus Complex never mention Colonus, nor Antigone - as if the consequences
of the complex had nothing to do with it. Moreover Oedipus being most
probably Akhnaton, the fact that a representative of the
universal/university knowledge lacks to mention this historical reference
and these crucial factors, questions its role and the function.

If the University has a responsibility, which is not to build up its own
restrictive point of view. Its duty is to inform the public in a neutral
manner with the most universal view of humankind's knowledge - that is
including non-university people in non-university settings, as Prof Young
mention them. Otherwise University provides a dogma and soon a political
ideology.

NOTE: logical is the fact that the debasement of the function of the
university cannot be described from within, and I shall come to this point
later.

Zenon Kelper