From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:30:49 -0400
Your diet sounds excellent. The cholesterol problem is puzzling. Maybe
it is too much omega3, like you said. I haven't come across the thing
about fish oil raising LDL. All Atkins says about overuse of omega3 is
that if you take over 5000 mg per day for six months you will oxidize
the fats in your red blood cells. If you want to figure out how much
you've been getting don't forget to factor in the flax seed you
mentioned. Very high levels of omega3 doesn't seem in line with
paleolithic principles considering that only about 2% of the fat in
grass-fed bovines is omega3, the bulk of the fat being stearic and
oleic. But on the other hand, they say that Inuit have very low levels
of heart trouble and very high levels of omega3 (which makes them very
prone to bruising and bleeding, though). They're not really paleo, or
maybe they're an extreme example. One thing I've been wondering about is
how damaged the fats are in canned fish, and in fish oil supplements,
which could be a factor. I haven't been able to find any information on
that. I imagine the Inuit get pretty fresh marine fats.

If you find that your omega3 levels weren't all that high maybe you'll
want to get retested in case there was an error. Kind of expensive,
though. Good luck. I would be interested to hear what you figure out.