From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:15:11 -0600
At 10:34 AM 6/3/01 -0500, liz butek wrote:
>Hello Paleo People,
>
>I haven't posted in a while, been busy with the new house
>and my masters degree, but I'm going to be reading the list
>again.
>
>I have two questions:
>
>1. For those of you who take fish oil supplements (Philip T.?)
>how many grams do you take a day?

I'm still figuring out just how much is the right amount for me.  I'm
currently vacillating between 8 and 9 1000 mg fish oil/day.  For me, and my
health concerns (BP, PMS w/major pain), this, combined with 2 300 mg GLA
(from borage oil) seems to be close to the right amount...

>2. I am busy planting herbs in my garden to make tea. Is it
>best to dry the leaves first, or is it okay to add fresh
>leaves to just-boiled water? As well, what can I use enrich

It depends on the herbs and if you're going for medicinal or not.  Fresh,
bruised leaves will generally give you the greatest amount of the essential
oils, but can also taste a little different that dried leaves.  Remember to
pinch off buds to keep the herbs going for a while...

Oh yeah, I'd recommend covering your mug if you use the fresh leaves, in
particular--don't want the good stuff going up with the steam!

>the soil without artificial fertilizer (hmmm... i'm afraid
>of that one ;)

Fish "poop" er, emulsion :) works well, too.  I have a fish tank and
whenever I cycle out some of the water, I use that to water my plants and
they love it.  That's not enough for outside, though--so I've used a good
quality fish emulsion.  Where I live, composting is out of the
question--it'd draw too many "vermin" and so isn't allowed, but my parents
enjoy success with their compost "heap".

And welcome back :)